Due in end November - just 50 being made
In the early 20th century, the world of high-stakes motor racing and opulent luxury travel collided in a remarkable story involving the iconic Blue Train and a man named Wolff Barnato. This article delves into the fascinating tale of the Blue Train and its daring race against time, as well as the extraordinary character of Barnato, a British racing driver and wealthy entrepreneur. Through their intertwined narrative, we uncover the thrill of speed, the allure of extravagance, and the indomitable spirit that drove Barnato to become a legend in both motoring and the art of living.
- The Blue Train's Prestige and Elegance
- The Blue Train, formally known as Le Train Bleu, was a symbol of luxury and refinement in the early 20th century. Operating between Calais and the French Riviera, it catered to Europe's elite, transporting them in opulence and grandeur. Renowned for its exquisite service, sumptuous cuisine, and luxurious cabins, the Blue Train became the epitome of elegance in travel.
- Wolff Barnato: A Man of Adventure
- Wolff Barnato, born in 1895, was an adventurer at heart. He hailed from a wealthy South African diamond mining family and later became the chairman of the prestigious Bentley Motors. Barnato was an accomplished racing driver, known for his fearlessness and competitive spirit. He participated in several grueling endurance races, including the iconic 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- The Challenge is Set: The Blue Train Race (200 words):In the 1920s, the Blue Train was synonymous with speed and punctuality. It boasted that it could reach its destination before any car could complete the same journey. The challenge was thrown down: Could the Blue Train outrun a powerful automobile?
Barnato, intrigued by the proposition, accepted the challenge. On March 13, 1930, Barnato, behind the wheel of his Bentley Speed Six, departed from Cannes, France, aiming to beat the Blue Train to Calais. With determination etched on his face, Barnato embarked on an audacious race against time.
- The Race Unfolds
- As Barnato roared away from Cannes, the Blue Train, with its distinguished passengers, departed from Nice. The stage was set for an exhilarating competition between man and machine. Barnato navigated treacherous mountain passes, pushing his Bentley to its limits, while the Blue Train raced through the French countryside.
Despite delays, roadblocks, and inclement weather, Barnato persevered. He used his racing experience to his advantage, taking calculated risks and pushing the limits of his endurance. Meanwhile, the Blue Train made steady progress, bolstered by its efficient service and punctuality.
In a thrilling climax, Barnato arrived in Calais four minutes before the Blue Train reached its destination. He had achieved the seemingly impossible, cementing his name in motoring folklore. The feat captivated the public's imagination, sparking headlines around the world.
- Barnato's Legacy
- Barnato's triumph in the Blue Train race was just one chapter in his extraordinary life. He went on to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans three times consecutively and solidified Bentley's reputation as a premier luxury car manufacturer. His entrepreneurial acumen and audacious spirit left an indelible mark on the automotive industry.
The story of the Blue Train and Wolff Barnato embodies the pursuit of excellence, the drive for adventure, and the indomitable human spirit. It showcases the intersection of luxury travel and high-speed competition, capturing the imagination of a bygone era. Barnato's race against the Blue Train became a testament to human determination and skill, elevating him to legendary status. The Blue Train's aura of elegance and opulence still lingers in our collective consciousness, reminding us of an era when speed and refinement reigned supreme.
Case - 41mm. Lugg to lugg 49mm
Glass - Domed Sapphire Glass with anti-reflective coating
Dial - Sunray Bentley Green with English white highlights, raised hour indexes with superluminova inserts,
Needles - Polished hour and minute hands, large second hand and small subdial hands
Movements - 10ATM Automatic with 40 hour power reserve, Automatic and hand winding, 3 hands date, Month/Day, Mono pusher. Japanese Miyota 9122 Premium Automatic
Caseback - Engraved Collectors Edition 1 of 50
Strap - Bentley Green Italian Rally Leather with contrast stitching